Wandera, a mobile security platform for enterprises, today released a study focused on mobile security risks for the financial services sector. The company analyzed data from 25,000 corporate mobile devices given to employees across 64 asset management and investment firms.
Mobility has changed the way businesses operate and Wandera offers organizations a solution for mobile threat defense and data management, using a unique gateway architecture to protect and enable corporate mobility. This report looks at real data from the mobile estates of global asset management and investment firms; providing analysis, benchmarking and best practice guidance on keeping devices secure and managing data consumption.
Key findings from the Mobile Data Report include:
- 53 phishing attacks occur each month
- 1,000 connections to leaking sites and apps occur each month
- 9 devices attempt to download malware every month
- 3 incidents of cryptojacking every month
- 99 attempts to access inappropriate (extreme, illegal, gambling and adult) content every month
- 12 sideloaded apps are present in the fleet of employee devices
- 3 devices encounter a Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attack each month
From Mar.- Dec. 2017 the data used by employees on mobile devices grew by 93 per cent (one gigabyte into more than 1.6 gigabyte). The most used app categories on employee devices in asset management and investment firms are photo and video and social media. The top 10 apps by data usage are:
- Web browsers
- App Store
- Google Maps
“The financial services sector can’t afford to be complacent when it comes to allocating resources to strengthen their security,” said Joel Windels, VP of marketing at Wandera. “Our research shows that one in six asset management and investment firms don’t even have an enterprise mobility management solution in place, which is alarming considering the amount of personal financial data they hold.”
Download the full report here.